9.28.2007

Shower Redew

Yeah, I know it's spelled wrong. But it's in honor of the mold and milDEW problems we've had in our master shower since we moved into this house just over 4 years ago. We built the house so it's our own fault but we really never had any idea what a pain the shower would be. It's a large walk-in shower and we had it tiled in slate. Looked gorgeous for a few months. But then we realized that wet slate and Oklahoma humidity just don't mix. We just couldn't keep the mold from loving it in there! Add in the fact that it was next to impossible to clean and that the slate kept chipping off and the decision was made to replace the slate from mid shower down to the floor.

Here's what it looked like "before" the remodel. It was always pretty dark in the shower but the flash on my camera sure did over emphasize the soap buildup and problems we were faced with!









Hubby and Elliot spent the better part of a weekend in the bathroom with the jackhammer tearing out the old tile. What a loud and incredibly dusty project that was! I knew it would make a mess but I never imagined that I would need to take everything out of the bathroom unless I wanted it covered in dust. That was quite a clean up job!





We have a guy who has done the tilework for Hubby's houses for years and years now but he wasn't able to get to this job quickly. So we found someone else to get the job done. He did a nice job but I would have preferred the tile under the halfway border be done on the diagonal. He was willing to do it that way but when he started it was obvious that it was a little difficult for him. We also decided to go with granite on the two window area's as well as the seat in the shower so it would match the vanity countertops.





So today he finished up, laying the remaining floor tiles and doing the grout. I'm not just in love with it but I think it will grow on me. I do think it lightens the bathroom up a bit. And I know it will be a lot easier to maintain. Thank goodness!











You know, looking at the photos I think part of what I don't care for is that the grout on the bottom half really stands out. It was still wet when I took these photos so as it dries and lightens up I think I'll like it a bit better.

Whaddyathink?

2 comments:

Full of Heart said...

I'm a new reader, but just wanted to leave a quick comment... What you had originally was really beautiful, so it's going to be hard to love anything else! But what you did does look nice too, and the more I looked at the pictures, the more I liked it. Maintenance is everything after all. If it doesn't work for your lifestyle it won't work for you at all. I think it'll grow on you!

Anonymous said...

Ewww....on the first photos.

And woohoo! to the second set. I think it looks much cleaner and fresher. How are you friend? I need to call you one of these nights. I ran into a woman today in chic-fil-a here in VA who knew A. Bluethman from OSU and for some reason it got me all thinking about college again. Miss you!