7.24.2006

Mr. Bufflockatoo

I've been meaning to jot down the story of Mr. Bufflockatoo before I forget it....

I was at Hastings a few weeks ago with Elliot, Sela, and Tess. All 3 children were pretty tired and cranky and we were trying to make some movie selections and get home. Elliot and Sela had their movies picked out and Tess, as usual, was giving me a hard time. By that I mean, she wanted one movie and I was telling her no so she was throwing a fit trying to get me to change her mind. Instead of giving into her fit I told her that we'd just have to look until she found a movie that I would agree on.

In the meantime, Elliot and Sela were bored out of their minds and ready to get home after a day of shopping. As we stood there waiting Elliot passed the time by braiding Sela's hair. I had no idea the boy could braid hair.

We finally made it out of the store and I commented on how nice Sela's hair looked. Our conversation went something like this.

Me: "Wow Elliot. I didn't know you could braid. When did you learn that?"

E: "I don't know. Marleigh taught me." He had a real everyone-who's-anyone-can-braid-and-it's-no-big-deal tone in his voice.

Me: "Hmmmm, well you did a good job. You know, one of these days you're going to make someone a very nice husband. And a great Daddy too."

E: "Yep"

Me: "You are going to get married and have kids someday. Aren't you?" I think I have a fear that my children won't provide me with enough grandchildren. So I thought I'd start the nagging early.

E: "I don't know. I guess so. I think I will."

Me: "Well, you're the only one with our last name. You have all these sister's and cousins but they are all girls so when and if they get married and have babies then they will have a different last name. It's up to you to carry on our name." Nothing like a little pressure from Mom. Right?

I wasn't sure if Elliot understood what I was saying. But without skipping a beat he glanced at Tess and replied very matter of factly with, "Yeah, I know. She'll be like Tess Bufflockatoo. And her husband will be Mr. Bufflockatoo."

To which Tess replied with, "I don't WANT to be Tess Bufflockatoo! I will NOT marry Mr. Bufflockatoo!"

I have no idea who Mr. Bufflockatoo is. As far as I know, Elliot just came up with that name on the spot. If there is a Mr. Bufflockatoo though I sure hope he's preparing himself because Tess is quite a handful!

___________________________________________

*Orville update* Poor little Orville is back at the vet today. He's been in and out of the vets since I first postd that he was sick. I was trying to have them do anything they could other than this crazy $150 test to see if he had a "foreign body" inside his body. Over the weekend, he wasn't able to eat without vomiting so back he went today to get the expensive test. They'll call me with the results. I talked with my sister, who is the cats real owner, and she said that if he needs surgery she just can't afford it. I'm crossing my fingers that he doesn't need surgery.

2 comments:

The Six of Us said...

OMG! That cracked me up! Elliot is a riot!

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »