10.26.2006

They really are exceptional

All too often I take my kids for granted. I just assume that all children are like mine. My kids fight and whine. They hate picking up after themselves. They blame everything on their siblings.

However, they are also exceptional. They are all able to sit and have a conversation with an adult. Like yesterday when Elliot took a costume over for a neighbor to borrow and was gone for twenty minutes. Turns out he went in and told our neighbor about the new music he was learning to play on the piano. He took the time to explain all the pieces of the costume to her. He told her 6 year old son he was sorry he didn't feel well. I take for granted that my children do these kinds of things. Then I think about my neighbor's son who is Elliot's age and could have more of a conversation with a brick wall then he could with me.

Last night I was reminded by a friend at church just how exceptional Marleigh is. As a Mother, it's always a treasure to hear someone talk about your child with such praise. But the comments I heard last night just made my heart leap.

Marleigh went on the Jr. High retreat last weekend. They went camping for 3 days and 2 nights out in the wild blue yonder of Arkansas. On the second day they were doing an obstacle course that was much like the ropes courses of my days. You know the kind, where you have to trust and depend on others to help you through. As Marleigh and several other friends jumped over a rope while still holding each others' hands, it was then Alex's turn to make the leap. Marleigh held her hand as she took her jump and cringed as she heard a loud snap upon Alex's landing. Thankfully, the person on the other side of her was an adult chaperone and he immediately told Alex, "Don't move. It's broken."

Marleigh has only known Alex for a few months. Yet she stayed by her side as the adults fashioned a stretcher out of a cot to get her to the car. Being in the middle of nowhere, the closest hospital was nearly an hour away. So when Alex was told she could bring a friend with her she chose Marleigh.

Last night my friend (the chaperone on the other side of Alex and one who also made the trip to the hospital) told me that he was so impressed with Marleigh's care and composure. He told me of how she stroked Alex's face tenderly, telling her it would all be ok. How she held her hand extra tight as they made their way through the bumpy terrain to get to the highway. That she kept Alex's mind off of the pain by sharing with her the story of Tess breaking her arm earlier this year and telling her funny stories about our crazy family.

At the hospital Alex was only allowed one adult in the room with her but was somehow able to con the nurses into letting her new friend Marleigh join them. And so Marleigh went back to sit by her side and help her not feel so alone.

My friend said he doesn't know many 11 year olds that can be as mature as Marleigh was that night. I feel so incredibly blessed that she's mine. At times like these, Hubby and I wonder how on earth we got such exceptional children. I need to say an extra prayer thanking the Big Man for choosing us to raise these wonderful kiddos.

Oh, and if you're wondering...Alex is doing all right. She dislocated her ankle and broke her leg in two places. From what I hear, if her ankle hadn't been dislocated she would have had a compound fracture. Ouch! It looks as though she won't have to endure surgery but she's been out of school all week. Marleigh's already been over twice to visit her. What a special girl!

No comments: