1.24.2007

It's not broken

It just feels like it. My knee that is. I saw the doctor today about my knee pain. He said there is definitely fluid inside and offered to drain it but I passed. No thank you. If it consists and doesn't go away with the medication he prescribed then I'll have it drained but I thought I'd hold off on the needle for now. He gave it a technical term but I can't remember it and he said it's similar to Bursitis. My cartlidge is damaged, probably from a previous injury or strain on my knee. Hmmmm, wonder if it could be all those years of pom-pon when we dropped from a standing position straight onto our knees. That was pretty dumb. Anyway, because the cartlidge is damaged there is nothing cushiony to help the bones when they bend and move so they just rub right against each other which believe me, is not pleasant. I'm to rest it for 3 more days and he put me on 8 days of Celebrex. Hopefully that will help things and I can get back to training for that half-marathon!

I haven't seen this doctor before but decided to go to him since he's my boss. So since I was a new patient he checked me over and got my history. After hearing that my Mother died of Ovarian Cancer and her sister died of Breast Cancer and her Mother went through some female cancer (I think it was cervical, or maybe uterine?), and her Grandmother died of Ovarian Cancer he decided that I have a pretty significant family history of cancer. Ya think? Anyway, he has referred me to a Genetics Counselor that I will see on May 3rd. That should be interesting. I'd love for them to tell me how to prevent getting cancer because I'm afraid the cancer card may be in the hand I was dealt at birth.

In other news, I weighed 3 pounds less at my first WW meeting yesterday. Here's hoping those 3 pounds never find their way back to this body.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! for losing the 3 lbs., but not for the cancer info. Now that the holidays are over, Ill call you and we'll catch up.

Blessings my friend!!!