5.21.2008

Summertime

Yep. It's here. The start of summertime.

Today was the last day of school and I spent most of the morning at the elementary school for Eli's 5th grade graduation. He was pretty excited about it. We went yesterday and got a new hair cut for him and some new duds to wear. Poor guy, the girls always seem to be getting new clothes and he's always wearing just the same old t-shirt and jeans/shorts. Dressing guys just isn't nearly as fun!

The ceremony was nice and I love that our school gives the parents time to come take photos of the kids after an award or diploma is handed out. You'd think this would add a lot of time to the program but it really didn't, which was an added bonus. Eli received the President's Eduction Award for having a 3.5 gpa for 3 semesters. He was also the recipient of a Student of Today award presented byt the Masonic Fraternity of Oklahoma. The Student of Today is one who has demonstrated outstanding scholarship, leadership, citizenship and integrity. Go Eli! I can't tell you how my face must have been beaming when they announced his name.

After graduation the entire 5th grade had a big celebration with moon bounces, a caricature artist, and all sorts of other fun stuff. I was able to stay for a bit but then had to get back to work. Then Eli was invited by a girl in his class to be picked up from school in a limo and drive around for 45 minutes before going out to dinner. I can't imagine what that must have cost with the price of gas as high as it is! I figured this girl had invited a big mix of kids but found out last night that it was tons of girls and...Eli. That boy! He's definitely well liked by the girls.

I went back to work this afternoon with a bit of a heavy heart. I have been with the kids every summer until last year when I worked part time. I started my current job just a couple weeks before school started last August so I was still pretty much with them all summer. So this will be the first year that I'll be working full time since just after Madi was born. I'm having a hard time dealing with it. I want to be home with them. They can sure drive me insane but it makes me sad to think of all the things we won't be doing this summer because I'm at work all day. I have them all enrolled in some fun summer camps but it's just not going to be the same.

This morning as Tea was getting ready for school and her usual grumpy morning state I tried to encourage her by saying, "Today is the last day of school!". She started crying and said, "I wish it was your last day of work. I want you to stay home with me." Man. Way to break a Mom's heart!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I want you to stay at home too -- so we can go out and have fun. Wonder if we should rent a limo! And then those SAME girls were at Eli's game tonight....some guy!

Margo said...

Would it be wrong to force our boys to play ball just so we can hang? No limo, gas is too expensive. How about a scooter built for two. And those girls...the boy won't ever be a professional athlete but he sure does attract the ladies. LOL

Anonymous said...

Go Eli!!!!! Please tell him that Minnie is VERY proud of him! I wish I'd been there to give him a great big hug!!

And - I wish I could stay at home with my kids all summer, too... so, okay, my "kids" are Simon and Wiley (doggies), but still. I think we'd have lots of fun together!

If I remember correctly, Uncle Matt was not much of an athlete but was very popular with the ladies. Much to his dismay, however, they usually just wanted to be his friends. Hopefully Eli will have better luck!