7.10.2007

SPC1 - The Flame


The Flame
Originally uploaded by margo_stewart
My first entry in the Self Portrait Challenge This months challenge is to photograph the elements. Earth. Water. Fire. Air.

I choose Fire.

Fire is mesmerizing to me. I love just sitting and staring into the flame, dreaming of times gone by.

Fire and flames bring back memories of cherished times (and not so cherished) with my family. The top three most significant memories are:

1. Congregational Church. Loveland, Colorado. Leaned over during the candlelight child as a small child and caught my hair on fire. Mmmm. Burning hair. Yuck.

2. First Presbyterian Church. Tulsa, Oklahoma. Candlelight service = Silent Night. My mom died in 1993 but I can still hear her singing alto every time I listen to Silent Night. Looking into the flame of a fire this is what it most reminds me of.

3. Bon Fire. Memorial Day 1992. I went camping with a friend, her friend, and who I now fondly refer to as Hubby. We were out of firewood. So future-Hubby and I went stalking around other camp sites stealing firewood from other campers. Man, we were bad. *snort*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to SPC. I like your picture and your memories.