7.27.2007

Full-timer

It's official. I'm a full-timer. Well, it's not actually official until next Thursday when I start for real. But since I only work M-W-F at my part time job (through next Wednesday, which happens to also be my birthday!) I went in yesterday to my new job for the first time.

It was interesting. Tuesday's and Thursday's we have med-clinic. Which means that we have patients coming in those days to see the doctor. I am being trained by a retired employee who I would describe as old school. Actually, the whole place is old school. Lots of things could be done on the computer that is being hand written right now. Perhaps at some point I can update those things. We'll see.

The lady training me, Carol, is nice. But she's set in her ways. I think she said, "My personal opinion" about 20 times yesterday. I politely agreed with her and made lots of mental notes to do things differently once she cuts me loose.

Carol seems to get frazzled really easily. Actually, there's no "seems to get" about it. Any little thing not going the right way gets her completely frazzled. Several times she mentioned that although it was ovewhelming it was a good day for me to start because I was able to see exactly how crazy things could get in the office on med clinic days.

Um, ok.

From what I can tell, the definition of "crazy" at my new job would be an extremely slow day at my current job. I do know that the 7 short months I worked in my current job will come in handy since both positions are in the medical field. But honestly, I think this new job will work out great. Especially once I get in and get the hang of things and my daily duties become second nature.

I also think that if I have to work full time, this is the perfect job to do it in. I should be able to get my 40 hours/week and still take off here and there to attend the kids school functions that they have periodically throughout the year. Yeah!

Of course, it helps that my boss is my friend. Can't beat that. I worked my old job today and then went in to the new one for just a few hours this afternoon. My boss/friend, Leah, and I went to Wal-Mart to buy a new mirror and lamp for the office. Then we went back and decorated so it was more homey. It looks 100% better already. I might actually like spending time there! And bonus...we can pay off so many bills with my new income.

Yippee!

No comments: