11.05.2007

A blow to the ego

I'm writing this in hopes that the next time I decide to throw a party at my house I will be reminded that it's just not a good idea.

There is a fairly new company out there called Piggies and Paws. They do the neatest artwork with your child's hand or foot print. I was invited to a party a month or so ago but wasn't able to go. So I decided I'd have my own party. Surely I would have a good turnout as it's a new idea and not every one has been to a million-gazillion parties already for this company. You know what I mean, you get yet another Pampered Chef invitation in the mail and immediately start thinking of ways you can get out of going.

In addition to having this lady come to do the Piggies and Paws party, I decided to set out the Cherry Tree Avenue trunk since it was already in Oklahoma. I figured I would be able to rack up some extra orders for my fellow CTA designers with all these droves of people who would show up for my party.

I spent the entire last week getting ready for the party. I cleaned, I crafted, I made follow up phone calls and emails to the 70+ people that I sent invitations to. I was going to have a great turnout! I had tons of people bringing multiple children to print their tiny little piggies and paws to cherish forever. I didn't even know what the hostess benefits are for this company and it didn't even matter because I just thought it was too neat not to share!

So my party started at 2:00 yesterday. My house was clean and ready with everything all displayed in several rooms. Tess wrote "Piggies and Paws" on the chalkboard in the kitchen and Selah made a colorful sign that read, "Welcome, welcome. Have fun!" to get everyone in a great mood. They were especially excited that this party included their friends and knew of several little buddies that planned on being there. The consultant showed up a few minutes early and started setting up. My kids and I flipped through the book of over 200 designs to choose from. They were just darling! I wanted one of each of them and I wanted to go back in time to when my own children were smaller so that I could freeze their tiny prints!

The doorbell rang at 2:00 on the dot with my friend S and her family in tow. I hadn't heard from her that she was going to be able to make it so I was especially excited to see her. Shortly after she arrived my friend K showed up with her son. It looked like things were going smoothly. Then 2:30 arrived, followed by 3:00 and 3:30 with no more ringing of the doorbell. Selah was in tears that none of her friends came and she cried telling me she was sorry I had cleaned so much and no one showed up.

70+ people invited and 2 people came. Let me just tell you, that's a major blow to the ego. Makes you wonder if maybe no one really likes you. Have you been blackballed and no one told you? I've dreamed all of my 34 years of having someone throw a surprise birthday party for me but honestly I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a good idea. I'd be heartbroken if someone went to the trouble of throwing a party for me and only 2 people showed up.

I cherish the 2 friends who were there. And I thank those that were unable to come who took the time to call and let me know that they wouldn't be there. For everyone else, pooey on youey! My feelings were hurt, I'm not gonna lie. I felt bad for the consultant who drove an hour each way to get to my house.

I guess the silver lining is that between the 3 of us who were there she made 11 prints so it wasn't a total wash for her. I'll have to share my prints here when they come in. I think they'll be really cute! And I also had my new soldered charms and new ornaments laid out and both friends ordered several of those. That made me happy.

Seriously though...no more parties! It's a shame I like to entertain so much!

7 comments:

Sandi said...

I would have come! ;)
One of the reasons I refuse to throw a party like that, I hate to see how many people WOULDNT come LOL

Anonymous said...

I would have been there, too! The only reason I ever got started with Pampered Chef and Mary Kay was because I supported you in your efforts, remember?? :-) I hate those things, too - the worst is that darn candle company... they're expensive and the candles aren't that great!! ;-)

Margo said...

Awww, I feel the love. Thanks for saying you'd come friends!

Ame said...

I'm really sorry to hear about the low turnout! :( Sounds like a neat idea... do they make them in XXL? I'd need really big pictures for my boys' hands and feet! :)

Don't give up on entertaining just yet! :) Hang in there! :)

The Six of Us said...

I have experienced the same thing! Invite tons of people and 1 or 2...usually zero...turn up. This is why I vowed to always go to these things unless I genuinely can't make it. I don't want another hostess to go through what I went through.

Margo said...

Ame! How the heck are ya girlie! One of my friends that showed up actually had a high school son do one. ;) And P, I was just given an invitation last night by a girl who approached me and said, "I'm SO sorry I couldn't come to your party! But will you please come to mine?" You know what...NO! *chuckle* Actually, I honestly DO have plans that night. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for the sweet things you said about Piggies & Paws...I am a P&P artist in the Tulsa area and it is always nice to see that people love our product as much as we do!