11.07.2007

fo: veil and quilt

So Eren recently clued me in as to what the acronym fo means. That would be Finished Object. It's rare I have any fo's myself unless there is a deadline. Which is why you're seeing these two lovlies...deadlines are here!

I'm am beyond pleased to announce that the veil I've been cursing for the last several months is finally completed. It's for Marleigh's volleyball coach who is getting married next month. I believe it was last February or March when she asked if I'd make her the veil. She fell in love with one at a bridal store but didn't want to spend the big buckaroo's on it. I figured what the heck, surely I can make it for a lot less. Of course, I didn't take into account the hand-beading and crystal drops I would have to put together. Plus, I've never made a veil and it's likely I won't be making more anytime soon. Honestly, I think it is just that having never done a veil and knowing it is for such an important event really stressed me out. It really didn't take all that long to put together but working on a little bit here and there over several months sure made it seem to drag out!

One of the things I love about sewing and crafting is watching a project come to fruition. There is something about having a pile of folded fabric one minute and then having a completed something soon after. Whether it's a veil, a quilt, a bag, a piece of clothing...doesn't matter. It amazes me every time!









Another fo I recently had was a quilt for a friend from church. Her husband is the junior high/high school pastor at my church and having helped with the junior high girls for the last couple of years I have gotten to know this family. I received the shower invitation on a Thursday and on Saturday afternoon I thought, "Hmmmm, maybe I'll make a quilt!" This is exactly why Hubby likes to say I'm insane. *snicker*

Knowing the time crunch was on and I'd definitely have to bend some rules I pulled out my favorite Amy Karol book and proceeded to pull out random bits of fabric from my stash to make her simple lap quilt. Of course, being "insane" as Hubby says I couldn't just piece together the fabrics after serious inspiration hit from looking at the cute fabric I dug out. I decided to hand embroider the solid squares with fun vehicular wordage. That made it take a tad longer but I was still finished in time to give her the quilt at her shower on Monday evening. Oh! And the backing is made with a Pottery Barn valance of yummy buttery yellow corduroy that I got for $4.99 a couple of years ago. See, it pays to be a pack rat!

7 comments:

Chicky said...

The quilt is adorable...and the veil is to die for...you do pretty well under pressure!

Margo said...

Thanks! I honestly don't know how to do things unless they are done under pressure. Certainly adds a little something extra to the project. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow they both turned out great!! How awesome Margo!!

Margo said...

Thanks Joy! :)

Anonymous said...

Now that you have me dialed into your blog, I must admit I'm pretty disappointed each day I don't see a new one posted. I mean, it's not like you have anything else to do. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey M! Would you please tell my husband your thoughts on being a packrat...Ive been telling him this for years and it hasnt sunk in yet. Much love friend.

Anonymous said...

Being as sewing-challenged as they come, I've always marveled at your abilities. This time is no different. :o)

By the way, I miss you! Hope all is well with you and your family.